I just got off the phone with Steve, YEA!!!
Apparently I was misinformed on where he would be and what it would be like. While he has mountains around him, where they stay is actually flat and very sandy. They don't have running water, but they have a well they can pump to get enough water for a shower about once a week per soldier. They do not have the comfort of bathrooms (Scott can tell you all about the joys of that). There is just over 20 people on the tiny FOB and Steve sleeps in a connex (the storage units the military uses to ship their items over seas). He said they have a good report with the locals and have a really neat dog who found them and stays with them. Her name is Sandy.
He sounded like he was in excellent spirits and says the address we have is correct. He does have some access to the 'net and they have a sattellite phone he can use to call home every once in a while. Oh, and they do have a cook, so when they have enough supplies dropped to them, they get some hot meals.
He said he looks like a raccoon. His face is sunburned except where he wears his eye protection, so he looks like a red and white raccoon. :-) He's been busy with missions, and since they have so few people, he pulls guard a lot too and hasn't had a lot of sleep. And because of the lack of running water, he hasn't shaved and with as fast as his beard grows, I'm sure he already fits right in with the mountain men. And he hasn't had a haircut since he left and said his bangs reach his eyebrows.
As far as what to send to him, it pretty much is the same ol' list, except he did emphasize the need for baby wipes because he doesn't get to shower much. Oh, and he also told me to send out flea collars for Sandy, which I thought was kind of cute. I'll pick some up today and stick them in the package I have ready to go.
It was so awesome to hear his voice! I'll give you more updates as I get them.
~Sheralan
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing!! I told Bill about your description of Steve and he was wondering if they might start mistaking him for a local?
That probably will depend on who's holding the gun and which way it's pointed. But he can speak the language. Thanks, Sheralan, for updating us about Steve.
Post a Comment