Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back to Afghanistan


I left yesterday for yet another vacation in Afghanistan. Happy Father's Day to me. In the picture are my friends JD and Deanna who were gracious enough to take me to the drop off point at 6:30 in the morning. Stef and the girls had left Wednesday to visit Stef's mom. Shye didn't want to leave before me, but I encouraged her strongly. My flight had already been delayed once and she had put off driving out to her mom's. If I were delayed again she would miss too much time and her family hasn't seen her or Katie for a year now and they haven't seen the big girls for almost two years. In a way it was easier to leave without anyone there crying and being sad. It was hard enough on Wednesday when they left and Friday when I said goodbye to Mom, Sheralan, Cori and Conner Mom was crying and I could she Sheralan fighting the tears which made me get all emotional. Technically I am not in Afghanistan yet, I'm at Manas Air Force Base in Kyrgistan, I am expected to fly into Bagram, AF tomorrow. I should only be there a year this time and I will try to keep everyone posted on how I'm doing.

4 comments:

Family said...

Scott,

We were so sorry to have missed you before you left. We live so close. Becarful and You will always be in our prayers.

Angel said...

To Howell family ~ If you live so close then you still live so close to Sheralan, Cori, Conner and I ~ it would be wonderful if we could get together sometime!! We all live in Clarksville, TN. Where do you live?

Angel said...

Scott, Now that I'm able to really feel my feelings I can say watching my son as he's driving away and know that the next day he's back off to war .... that really sucks!!! Yes, I was crying (and I'm rejoicing that I can finally do that). I love you so much. I can tell you when I gave birth to you I never anticipated having you grow up and go to war ... again. I just want everything to go back to how it was a long time ago, (and I mean a LONG time ago) when I could say, "Scott, I'm not going to allow you to do this, you'll have to find a different game to play and different friends to play with" and you'd actually obey me. LOL (But tears are falling too) Not that I have a problem with your friends, I just don't want you going to another country! Anyhow, I love you so much, and I'm holding with you in my heart and prayer always.

Steve ~ if you happen to ever have time to get on here drop us a line too. I love you so much too and you are always in my heart and prayers too!!! (Good thing I have a big heart!!)

Devri said...

You look great too Scott, I don't live close but I still can pray for you...