Sunday, October 5, 2008

hair horses and a wet dog

Hi everyone!! I'm so darned computer challenged that I can't figure out how to start a new theme, or whatever it's called, on the blog. I wanted to share with all of you that some exciting things have happened lately in my life. I got a job working on a ranch that I just love. It's a beautiful facility, 34 stall barn, indoor and outdoor arena, round pen and Quarter Horses!! (Almost everyone around here has Tennessee Walking horses, which are OK but I much prefer Quarter Horses). I'm sending three pics. One of Koda, my Great Pyrenees, playing in the pond on the property. One taken today of my new haircut. I got 6" cut off and I feel so much more comfortable. And there's one of me on Rosie, one of my bosses horses. She's a QH mare that no one likes to ride because she dumps them but she and I get along great. Yes, once 2 wks ago she bucked me off but that was after she got terrified by a flock of turkeys that flew up in her face and then a stick got under her saddle pad. She was just very uncomfortable. Unfortunately I was very relaxed, feet out of the stirrups, not paying attention to the trail and then I became very uncomfortable ~ got a huge bruise on my right cheek (and I'm not talking about my face). Sue, the owner of the place, has offered to give me Rosie but I don't make enough money to pay for her vet bills and shoeing. I told her when my settlement is final I'll buy her because then I'll know I can afford to care for her too. Sue said to consider her mine anyhow and she'd pay the bills until that time comes. She says I work way harder than she's paying me to. Which is true, I barely make enough for gas back and forth, but I am very picky about how the barn and stalls are kept. So I work really hard. The 3rd day I was working there I got trampled by a horse (I bring all the horses in to be fed and then later take them all out to the pasture). Unfortunately they'd let one mare get away with running in at the same time as another mare. I was foolish enough to believe I could stand in front of a 1200 lb mare and stop her .... I didn't even slow her down. But she knocked me for a loop and I've been having some problems with severe back pain since then. I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow (yes, on Sunday, strange, huh?) to discuss the results of the xrays of my back. But I can still work and ride. I just mount and dismount rather slowly and gingerly. I've done some work with that mare and she now waits her turn to come in. Plus she even likes me and nickers to me when she sees me. I'm training Rosie to run barrels and she's picking that up quickly. She's been badly abused and is scared of EVERYTHING. But she's also an incredibly smart and responsive horse. When I'm not at the ranch (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon AM) I busy at home. Saturdays are filled with soccer games. When Kayla has an early game and I find out in time I ride on base with Sheralan and watch her play. (I can't get on base w/my car since the license expired last Jan. and my passenger side mirror is gone and the driver's side is taped on. It has 284,+++ miles on it but still runs great). Anyhow, I think this is Kayla's first year but she's doing well. Cori and Conner are in their 3rd yr of soccer (I think) and they are turning into quite the soccer players. Well, I just thought I'd get on here and share about the excitement in my life. Love to all of you!!! Angel





2 comments:

Kristie said...

I don't mind posting for anybody! I hope you guys keep an eye on my blog because that's the only way I seem to get news out about our little family!
Nice hair mom, I like it.
Try yoga for your back, the stretches will help a great deal.

Angel said...

Thx Kristie!! I've got a yoga tape, I'll have to try that. The dr. said today that I have arthritis in my spine from my childhood injurty and I have a pinched nerve in my right lower lumbar region. He said if the pain doesn't improve in my back in a few wks he wants me to call him and he'll have me get an MRI. Wish I could fly to WY and have Tom do it!!!