Saturday, August 2, 2008

if i had been at grandma's funeral

Kristie’s memories of Grandma~ 7/28/2008
I have wonderful child-hood memories of going to grandma’s house (even though grandpa lived there too, it was always grandma’s house). I loved playing with her dome hair dryer that fit over my head, way easier than holding a blow drier! Her basement was always full of ‘old stuff’ like cameras magazines, telephones, and posters of wards progressing to numbers that this mid western girl was amazed wards could number up to (Currently in Muncie 1st out of 2). I loved grandma’s and grandpa’s paintings hanging in every room of their home. I have a horse head painting she did for me that I still treasure…maybe that’s part of the reason I married an artist.
Grandma always had such witty replies to everything. I was always laughing at her comments. Her attitude was so optimistic; I couldn’t help but be more positive when I was around her.
I remember a time (I’d guess I was around 8 or so) when I was pouring myself a bowl of cereal (I’m sure it was “Fruitloops” –it was always “Fruitloops” at grandmas, that made me so happy!), anyway she was out of milk, but I saw buttermilk in the fridge. I assumed buttermilk had to be even better than normal milk, with all that butter, so I asked if I could use that instead. She said I might not like it; I assured her I would, so she let me pour buttermilk into my cereal. One bite told me that ‘butter’ was a false label and it should have read ‘rotten’ instead. She allowed me to toss the remainder of my cereal away, thank heavens!
Grandma and grandpa were the only family from either side of Bill’s or my family who were at the Denver Temple during our sealing – quite the drive for them. She was my escort when I took out my endowments in the Idaho Falls temple. She was so excited to be with me while I experienced that amazing voyage, and I was so glad to have her beside me throughout it all. I’m looking forward to the time when we’ll be sitting next to each other dressed in white once again!

6 comments:

Devri said...

I was, it was nice to see all of you who went, and It was sad to not see all of the rest of you, maybe down the road??

Angel said...

I also remember all you kids sliding down the laundry shute, no matter how many times you were told not to do it!!! LOL Though I was unable to attend the funeral I had my own little ceremony on a hill outside my apt. bldg. where I'm planting many wildflowers to honor her and to bring beauty to others who move here down the road. I think she'd like that. Devri .... I do hope and pray that somewhere down the road we all can get together. Any chance you could accompany your mom the next time she heads out this way to visit Chelsea? I'll bet we could get Kristie's family here and Sheralan, Cori and Conner + Stephanie (Scott's wife) Katie, Kayla and Kendra and I would all sure love to see you!! In fact, how I wish traveling wasn't so expensive so we could just all have a HUGE family reunion!!

Scott said...

You know Mom I don't think you will ever to be able to spell S-T-E-F-A-N-I's name right. Don't worry, you're not the only one. I sure wish I could have gone to the funeral as well. I was able to see some of the family last year when I was up there and I remember being yelled at via e-mail by Devri when she found out that we had been in the area and not seen her and her family, don't worry I won't make that mistake again, but it would be nice to see everybody.

Kristie said...

O skot, u no thiz phamalie kant spel, eye hav bin triing wit Stafani's naim tho!

Angel said...

What's sad is ... Kristie, you came closer to spelling Stefani's name right than I did and you were purposefully spelling wrong. (Or at least I think you were ... LOL) Sorry Stefani! Sorry Scott! I usually spell her name right. OOPS!! I've been really tired lately so I'll blame it on that!! Working with the horses on thes really hot days may have fried my brain worse than it already was!! YIKES!!!

Angel said...

I meant 'these' not thes .... see ... I'm it deep kimshee!!